- 1 Kitchen Information
- 2 Kitchen Shift Overview
- 3 Kitchen Shift Signup
- 4 Burn Week Menu
- 4.1 Sunday Night - Spicy Sunday
- 4.2 Monday Night - 3-day Cruise
- 4.3 Tueday Night - Comfort Food
- 4.4 Wednesday Night - Southern Comfort
- 4.5 Thursday Night - Tex-Mex Heaven
- 4.6 Friday Night - Greek Night
- 4.7 Saturday Night - Taco Tuesday
- 4.8 Sunday Night - Everything but the kitchen sink
Our kitchen serves delicious meals each night from Sunday Night through Sunday night of the burn. There will be vegetarian options, and usually something vegan as well. If you have any particular allergies, please make it known in the poll that Joelle put up on the KKBM17 Facebook page. In the end, you are responsible for checking what is in the food and also, if you have very restrictive dietary needs, you should be bringing your own food as backup, snacks, etc.
Camp food is budgeted and purchased for campers only. Your guests are not allowed to eat, no matter how close they are to you. Often we have some leftovers, and once the kitchen gives you the all clear, we can share with others. But don't pester them, and don't take food for outsiders before everyone in the camp has eaten their fill.
Breakfast is made most days, but there are no formal shifts. Speak to the kitchen leads if you want to take on a breakfast. We always have eggs, bacon and usually some pancake mix. Often, whoever wakes up and feels like cooking takes the lead. The kitchen must be cleaned and restored to its proper setup before the first shift starts for dinner prep. This is a community effort, by us, for us. Nobody serves and caters to you.
Each camper is responsible for bringing their own plate, cup, fork, spoon, knife, napkins or paper towels etc. Ask fellow campers for good suggestions. We do not do disposable and we do not provide any utensils or plates. Remember, your garbage is your own responsibility, and your provision of everything you need to eat is your responsibility. If you do not have this, you will have a problem trying to eat with your hands.
Kitchen is 100% off limits to anyone who is not cooking for the camp (breakfast or dinner). Do not go in there. Not to wash your plate, not to use a knife, not to take food. Food is a camp resource, and only for communal meals. Snacks are not provided by the camp. Sometimes kitchen crew may bring around plates of some treat, but that is a bonus gift that they do at their discretion, and not something you can rely on. Ice is not provided by the camp, you can go buy some at the ice sale places on playa (bring cash for that).
In kitchen, the leads are in charge. Listen to them and do what they say. It makes it easier for everyone.
Each member of our camp is required to put in at least one shift in the kitchen. More information on that will be coming soon, so please sign up as soon as that is available or else we will sign you up for a shift on our own.
If you would like to get more involved in kitchen planning, cooking, meal planning etc please contact Joelle so that she can work that out with you.
Kitchen Shift Overview
- There are three Kitchen Shift Options - Prep Shift, Cook/Serve Shift and Kitchen Fairy Shift. Each shift is six campers plus a lead or two.
- Tops and bottoms are required to work in the kitchen (this is actually the health code, they hate boobies). Please come on time and be basically sober. If you can't ..find someone to switch with you. For real.
- Prep Shift - 1:30 - 3:30 - chopping, dicing, prepping, shlepping. Fun.
- Cook Shift - 5:00 until dinner is served to our glorious campers. You grill, you grill more, and you scoop and serve. Dishes get finalized. Also fun
- Kitchen Fairy - After Dinner until done (usually not more than an hour or so). You make the magic in the kitchen to get it cleaned up and sorted and ready for the next day of service. Can it be fun? Fuck yeah, its called being a fairy for a reason. Stop asking silly questions!! And remember, no butt-plug washing in the camp water supply.
Kitchen Shift Signup
- CLICK HERE TO SEE THE SHIFT SCHEDULE. Signup is complete, and all shifts are filled for Kitchen.
- Please see the Shift Signup Procedure for more info on how shift signup will work this year. We are trying a new system this year, so please make sure that you understand it all before you attempt to sign up for shifts.
- NOTE: Please make sure that you are not signing up for two shifts on the same day. Really. Really really.
Burn Week Menu
Sunday Night - Spicy Sunday
Chef du Jour: Fiona (Goddess Grove)
It is Sunday. Burning Man has officially begun. Time to celebrate. Bounty is really such a delightful word, isn't it, but it didn't properly describe this meal so we changed it. Spicy Sunday, welcome to our world.
- Aleppo Pepper Chicken
- Aleppo pepper shrimp
- Aleppo pepper Tofu
- Couscous w/ chickpeas
- Green beans
Monday Night - 3-day Cruise
Chef du Jour: Kait and Caley (Pirate Pod)
Come watch the delightful and beautiful duo prepare some magic 3-ways, for 3-days.
- Chicken/shrimp/tempah grilled with oranges and rosemary
- Sweet potatoes
- assorted veggies
Tueday Night - Comfort Food
Chef du Jour: Matt G (Pirate Pod)
It may be on playa, but it is still America gosh-darn it! Grills, Steaks, Potatoes and Veggies.
- Tofu Satay
- Grilled Potatoes
Wednesday Night - Southern Comfort
Chef du Jour: Amanda D & Jillian D (Bat Cave)
Let me tell you a story about a Pod that loves to over-achieve. If not for the obvious length of their shade structure, you may be tempted to think they are compensating for something.
- Pulled BBQ Chicken
- pork chops
- portabello mushroom caps
- Smoked sweet potatoes
- Cauliflower veggie skewers
- roasted beets
- Marsala rice
- Pasta salad
- Spinach Salad
- Fruit Salad
Thursday Night - Tex-Mex Heaven
Chef du Jour: Joanne - Bat Cave
If you are still trying to recover from the night before, roll all this goodness up on your plate and put it in your mouth. Just do it. Really.
- Ground beef
- Grilled Veggies
- pinto beans
- Cabbage salad
- Colby Cheese
Friday Night - Greek Night
Chef du Jour: Mike A. (Goddess Grove)
Welcome to the weekend, and get ready to move to Astoria as the L train comes down and Brooklyn becomes uninhabitable.
- Chicken Souvlaki
- Portobello mushrooms
- Lemon Rice
- Greek salad
- Charred watermelon w/feta
Saturday Night - Taco Tuesday
Chef du Jour: Alex (FoP)
You are going to be lost and unable to find your way once the man burns, so might as well get disoriented now with another edition of Taco Tuesday
- Steak/chicken/ Veggie Tacos
- Southwest Egg Rolls
- Black beans
Sunday Night - Everything but the kitchen sink
Chef du Jour: Jessica M
We would cook your dignity, but you ran out of that days ago
- EVERYTHING LEFT
- Radical Deliciousness